Saturday 6 October 2012

Sights on a Saturday

Over the past few months, I've been pulling together my photos from a holiday in Italy and there has been a fair bit of reminiscing going on!

With close to 3,000 digital snaps, the album is slowly coming together as the culling process is fined tuned.  Over the next month - I hope to show some highlights as I re-experience one of my favourite journeys..........

Here are some sights from the Tuscan town of Volterra.

 We spent a few hours in the Guarnacci Etruscan Museum which features an extensive collection of Etruscan artifacts - mostly uncovered from local ancient tombs. The jewellery was fascinating and a lot of the pieces were dated between 3rd Cent. BC to the 1st Cent.AD.


Do I spot a semi-precious gemstone? Isn't it beautiful.. and weren't those Etruscans clever skilled artisans?

Despite being over 2,000 years old and made with a lot less sophisticated tools and implements, the pieces clearly showed intricate and innovative design .... and displayed our perennial fondness for personal adornment and interest in stones, silver and gold throughout the ages.

Walking through Volterra, my radar also detected hand made jewellery in small artistic studios....(loved the little black cat who sat outside the shop amongst all the patient waiting boyfriends, husbands etc).

Going through my photos has got me thinking of new adventures that await......
More Italy shots to appear again soon on 'Saturday Sights'.


No comments:

Post a Comment